As the largest railroad in North America, BNSF plays a vital role in sustaining the U.S. economy by moving the products and commodities we need to live and prosper. Our in-house lawyers serve as critical advisors on all aspects of our operations, helping to ensure our railroad runs smoothly and our customers are well served. This position primarily supports internal clients on issues related to BNSF’s suppliers and other counterparties that enable our operations. The position requires the negotiation, drafting and review of a wide variety of agreements regarding all aspects of BNSF’s operations, including high-value transactions regarding operational, commercial, technology, and construction issues, as well as legal support on issues arising under those agreements going forward. This position also assists in the administration and maintenance of BNSF’s robust contract management system, working as part of a team of lawyers and paralegals managing that function for BNSF. This position also involves occasionally providing legal counsel regarding general law and operational regulations, including research and legal advice under the supervision of senior attorneys on administrative, regulatory, and commercial law issues.
• Qualified candidates must have a graduate or bachelor’s degree;
• Juris Doctor, current law license (Texas preferred, but not mandatory);
• Strong academic background;
• 2-7 years of relevant work experience as a practicing lawyer (in-house, law firm or government) handling complex contract negotiations and transactions;
• High performing individual with ability to handle complex and challenging assignments with extremely short turnaround deadlines;
• Candidate should possess strong negotiation skills and ability to build consensus and communicate compelling legal/business justification for position;
• Must possess excellent legal research, verbal and written communication skills and ability to handle complex and challenging assignments with extremely short turnaround deadlines. Candidate
should possess knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Lexis/Nexis research system and other web-based legal research tools.
• Experience in the transportation or manufacturing industry a plus.
• Resume, references, non-confidential writing samples, and law school transcript may be required.
To find out additional information and to apply, please go to www.bnsf.com/careers