DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
At BNSF, Safety is a core value of how we do business. Each and every day, our employees are committed to approach one another about safety, which is key in realizing our vision. Employees are also expected to comply with company and federal safety & health regulations, safety rules & policies, as well as procedures that guide work practices to reduce risk to exposure. Such work practices include but are not limited to wearing required safety equipment, responding to safety concerns, and taking appropriate actions in the event of an emergency.
As the largest railroad in North America, BNSF plays a vital role in sustaining the U.S. economy by moving the products and commodities we need to live and prosper. Our in-house lawyers serve as critical advisors on all aspects of our operations, helping to ensure our railroad runs smoothly and our customers are well served. We are seeking a high performing individual with an interest in developing a deep knowledge of the real estate transactions of a major Class I railroad. This position has responsibility for providing legal advice and counsel concerning real estate matters including drafting and negotiating purchase and sale agreements, leases, constructions agreements, easements, licenses, and conveyance documents in connection with acquisitions, dispositions, and management of extensive real estate portfolio; management of outside counsel, including directing strategy and managing work flow and budgets; and providing advice and counsel on issues affecting the company’s real estate holdings, including permitting and land use issues arising under state and federal laws. Occasional domestic travel required.
• Qualified candidates must have a graduate or bachelor’s degree;
• Juris Doctor, current law license (Texas preferred, but not mandatory);
• Strong academic background;
• 2-7 years of relevant work experience as a practicing lawyer (in-house, law firm or government) focused primarily on real estate transactions; experience gained from work in the railroad or other transportation industry a plus;
• Must possess excellent legal research, verbal and written communication skills and ability to handle complex and challenging assignments with extremely short turnaround deadlines;
• Must have ability to identify, prioritize and resolve issues quickly and effectively in a positive, commercial, and practical manner;
• Must have ability and commitment to work both independently and collaboratively with numerous people at all levels throughout the company;
• Must be proficient in use of Microsoft Office Suite, Lexis/Nexis research system and other web-based legal research tools;
• Resume, references, non-confidential writing samples, and law school transcript may be required.
The duties and responsibilities in this posting are representative categories to be used in deciding whether to apply for the position. These general categories do not necessarily constitute an exhaustive list of the duties of the position.