Application Deadline: March 24, 2023 by 5:00 p.m.
DWLA Leadership Class is a DWLA initiative created to further its mission of elevating the standing of women in the legal profession. The leadership class will benefit women law students by providing students with the tools to develop the professional skills necessary for success and leadership positions in law, business, government, the nonprofit sector, and the judiciary. Participation in the Leadership Class will greatly enhance your business contacts, equip you with the tools necessary for professional development, and will generally provide opportunities that would not have existed otherwise.
The 2023 Leadership Class will meet for a mandatory Leadership Retreat from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Saturday, May 13, 2023. An evening workshop will follow this summer, featuring local and state leaders speaking on their personal experiences of women in leadership positions and their advice on developing the professional skills required to become and support women in leadership. This date TBD–will consider class participants’ schedules. In addition to this programming, the class participants will select, organize and execute a self-directed community service project that achieves the purpose of elevating the standing of women in the legal profession. The project shall be completed before the class participants return to school for the 2023 fall semester. Applicants who attend school outside Dallas-Fort Worth understand that signing this application represents a commitment to assist with the service project through its completion.
To be considered, please complete the application below and attach the required documents. Applicants will be chosen based on their demonstrated commitment to elevating the standing of women in the legal profession. Each year, DWLA selects approximately 12 (twelve) applicants to join its Leadership Class.
- Available to attend retreat and one summer workshop (evening event);
- Commitment to attend class meetings (minimum of 3 evening meetings with facilitators + additional meetings if scheduled by class participants);
- Commitment to work with class participants on a service project (project, project workload and project completion date chosen by class participants);
- Currently enrolled in law school and J.D. expected after May 2023; and
- Attends SMU, TAMU, UNT Dallas, Baylor, UT, Texas Tech School of Law or OU law school, OR provides a demonstrated commitment to work in the legal profession in the Dallas community during the summer of 2023.