Managing Trial Attorney
You will lead a team of trial attorneys, paralegals, and administrative assistants to achieve the mission and strategic vision of Nationwide Trial Division.
Nationwide Trial Division strives to provide superior legal services that exceed our partners and client’s expectations of quality and value and to be considered the best insurance defense litigation firm in each community we serve.
Nationwide Trial Division’s mission is to be a trusted team of experts that enables integrated and differentiating solutions to protect Nationwide and its clients. This is accomplished through providing legal and regulatory solutions, advocating on behalf of Nationwide and its clients, managing risks, and enhancing Nationwide’s reputation in the community.
Reporting Relationships: Reports to Managing Trial Attorney or Associate Vice President.
So, you think you’ve got what it takes to make the cut? All Managing Trial Attorneys should be:
● Visionary people leaders who motivate associates to strive for greatness
● Solutions oriented with a collaborative spirit
● An out of the box, resourceful, finder of solutions
● Leader, motivator and innovator, resilient with the ability to lead your team through notable change
● Influential communicator with managerial courage and the ability to have effective critical conversations
● Prepare business and operational reports and responsible for performance management, and budgets
● Excited about working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
● Committed to individual and team engagement
● Prioritize tasks and take ownership of all decisions
You should also have:
● Proven experience leading successful legal teams; 10 years of experience within civil litigation, trial, and / or agency hearing representation
● Expertise in team effectiveness and engaging leadership methodologies
● JD Degree from an accredited law school
● Licensed as an attorney in appropriate US jurisdiction where the trial division office is located
● Deep expertise in highly complex matters of law
● Adherence to Private Practice of Law policy
● Ability to prioritize tasks and take ownership of decisions
● Familiarity with liability and damages experts utilized in the jurisdiction
● Proven track record of marketing skills to strengthen relations with clients and claims partners.
● Powerful reputation in the legal community
A typical day in the life of a Managing Trial Attorney:
1. Provides meaningful developmental coaching, feedback and training to uplift skills and effectiveness of attorneys and associates
2. Collaborate with Trial Division business operations to ensure delivery of satisfactory services
3. Contributes and provides subject matter expertise on significant, high-risk, and complex legal matters
4. Maintains productive relationships with members and claims management customers
5. Reviews and assigns cases and may carry a small case load
6. Preparation of business and operational reporting
7. Conducts audits of associate open cases, seeks feedback from Claims partners
8. Partners with specialty executives on any performance related matters regarding the specialty area
9. Manages all administrative functions for the office including onboarding attorneys and support staff
10. Monitors quality and productivity standards while promoting Nationwide best legal service practices
Compensation & Benefits
You receive a competitive starting salary with opportunities to increase salary based on performance. Other benefits include:
● A 401k match and company-funded pension plan
● Medical, dental, and vision insurance (part of our Wellness Program)
● Up to $5250 in tuition reimbursement per year after your first year
● Excellent opportunities for growth and promotion
● Network of diverse employee resource groups
● Enjoying time with your family/pets/yourself (we understand) with up to 23 days of paid time off and 9 – 10 paid holidays per year
● Extra time off for donating blood and philanthropic service
Due to the fiduciary accountabilities of this job, a valid credit check and / or background will be required as part of the selection process.
Legal office environment. Frequent day travel with limited overnight travel. Extended hours are often necessary to meet the demands of the profession.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Nationwide embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
Interested candidates should email resume to Nationwide Recruiter John Choma at email@example.com. Get more information on Nationwide at our website www.nationwide.com/careers. Thank you!
Nationwide is a leader in the insurance and financial services industry. We are a Fortune 100 company with a mission to keep our members, their loved ones, and their belongings protected.
We commit to every employee and community we serve by emphasizing employee development and charity partnerships. That’s how we win Gallup’s Great Workplace Award year after year and why we’ve been named one of Fortune’s 100 Best Companies to Work For.
In addition, we are proud recipients of top workplace awards in the following categories
• 50 Best Workplaces for Diversity – Fortune; Forbes; National Business Inclusion Consortium
• Top Company for Women: Catalyst Award; Fortune; Professional Women’s Magazine
• LGBTQ: Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Equality Index: HRC (14 years)
• Veterans: Pro Patria & Above and Beyond Awards: Employer Support of the Guard & Reserve (ESGR)
• Fortune World’s Most Admired Company
• Fortune Top Companies for Millennials